Saturday, May 17, 2008

Saturday, May 17th, 2008

Michael and Elizabeth Gibbs Wedding

Michael and Elizabeth Gibbs got married and we drank some good wine.

-Dom Perignon, Brut Rose, Champage, 1996
-Didier Dagueneau, Pur Sang, Pouilly Fume, 2005
-Haut-Brion, Graves, Bordeaux, 1989
-Caymus, Cabernet Sauvignon, Special Selection, 1997

Do I need to even mention the quality of these wines? The Caymus was the one lame horse, leaving little to be desired. The Dom Rose, Dagueneau and Haut-Brion were just other worldly, perfect expression of wine. I'd suggest that if any random person, from any walk of life tasted any of these 3 wines, they would become wine lovers immediately. How can anyone deny such a delicious beverage?

I often try to retrace my wine life and what got me so entangled in this world. I don't recall a single a bottle that hooked me. I recall many bottles over a period of a couple years that lured me deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole. But I would imagine that if someones first experiance with wine was with one of these three bottles, it would change their life.

By the way, we also finished the left-overs of Friday, May 16th's post:

-D.R. Stephens, D.R. II, Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa, 2005
-Corra, Sauvignon Blanc, Napa, 2007
I have consistent thoughts and comments about these wines that were previously posted.

We also opened:

-Auteur, Pinot Noir, Manchester Ridge, Mendocino Ridge, 2006 $65
This wine received 100 points from Doug Wilder of Vinfolio. It truely was great. One of the better domestic Pinots I've experianced. It is better than most bottles of Kistler and Marcassin that I've tasted. It has all the ripeness of fruit that you'd expect, but just an infinite depth that is unreal. Layer after layer of pure fruit and spice and earth. It's got tons of intensity but also a very supple, graceful, charisma to it. This was a great bottle that just needs 1-2 years of integration and then I think it will show all it's marvel for 10 more years. Loved it!

This was a good day of drinking.

No comments: