Friday, January 2, 2009

Wednesday, December 31st, 2008


New Years Eve 2008
It's New Year's Eve, you gotta go big, right? We had an assortment of Champagnes. The finest of which was-

R.H. Coutier, Grand Cru, NV

and then we went for the gusto.

Screaming Eagle, Cabernet Sauvignon, Oakville, 1998

The short story is, it's not worth the price tag. However, it is a phenomenal bottle of wine. 1998 is "off-vintage" by most critics assessment, however, I've found that they are drinking beautifully right now and much better than most 1997s that I've had (which was a vintage that the critics loved).

While this isn't the best vintage ever produced by Screagle, it shows all the same hallmark character that the winery is known for. Tremendous density and plushness, without the Port-like overripness that Harlan showcases. It honestly reminded me of Lafite-Rothshchild in a warm vintage. It was showing at its finest about 4-5 hours after being opened. For all its massiveness, it was incredibly delicate and light-footed. The flavor profile was a smorgasbord of black fruits and cream with a penatrating and lengthy finish.

I loved this wine. It's very hard to justify such a extraodinary price tag, but there is no denying the greatness of this producer. I've previously only had the 2002 vintage, which was equally compelling and perhaps even more nuanced. I wish I could drink it more frequently.


With all the changes happening at the winery (new ownership and winemaker) it'll be interesting to see how the new vintages differ. I doubt that they would let quality suffer, but I certainly hope that they continue to produce the same house style that they established the brand with. It's like Van Hallen with Sammy Haggar, sure, it's familiar and you're still going to sing along, but it's just not same as David Lee Roth. You know what I'm saying?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not that I'm trying to Topper you but I'll share the wines I enjoyed New Year's eve with friends, prime rib and awesome Reata potatoes.
Started off with Kongsgaard Chard 1998, not a bad start.
All reds were tasted blind:
Bryant 1992--my offering, I was disappointed with signs of leakage and the first pour. Opened up a bit later throughout the evening.
Bryant 1993--Drank like a younger vintage, I've had this before and this bottle showed soooo much better.
Dehlinger Syrah Goldridge 1999--very good, I would like to find more of this wine.
Beringer Private Reserve 1990--older vintage flexing its muscles.
BV Private Res 1986--unfortunately past its time but a good reminder of what a beautiful wine it once was.